This is a recipe passed down to me from my mom. I have been baking this gorgeous cake since I was 8. It has impressed, delighted and consumed many a family member, friend and acquaintance.
A piece of cake history, from me to you. Enjoy xxx
1ml salt (salt enhances the chocolate flavour)
125ml cooking oil (use sunflower oil, do not use peanut oil or olive oil)
125ml boiling water
4 egg yolks
10ml baking powder
5ml vanilla essence (you can try vanilla extract, however it could be too strong – i have not used extract myself)
1. Pre-heat oven on 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Mix ingredients in order, and stir well.
3. Beat egg whites till fluffy, then only fold in the 10ml baking powder.
4. Beat the egg whites until stiff, and fold gently into cake mix.
5. Grease 2 cake tins.
6. Evenly pour the cake mix into the 2 cake tins and bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes.
Check the cake through the glass door of the oven, do not open to check the cake as it wont rise and will flop. Oven temperatures vary, so i tend to go on smell, if the cake starts smelling like cake, it should be just about ready.
Once ready, remove from oven and allow to cool in the cake tins for about 10 minutes. Gently remove the cake and let it cool further on a cake rack or any cool surface.
When the cakes have cooled completely, it’s ready to be iced and decorated.